- Whale Tufnol Rod is medium weave cotton and phenolic resin laminated plastic material. It is the grade specifically designed for mechanical engineering purposes. It is suitable for wear-resistant components such as bearings, bushes, spacers, and low voltage applications. Tufnol Rod is dimensionally very stable and can be either run dry or lubricated with water, oils, or grease. It has excellent all-around physical properties with rigidity, strength, good toughness, and wears resistance.
Advantages of Tufnol Rod:
- Rigidity with high strength and low weight
- Good electrical and thermal insulation properties
- Its maximum working temperature is around 120 to 130 degrees. (higher than nylon)
- Doesn’t degenerate at higher temperatures like nylon and other plastics
- It is non-corrosive and can reduce corrosion in metal parts
- Resistant to heavy loads with minimal creep
- Excellent weather resistance and good resistance to chemicals, oils, solvents, and hydrocarbons.
Disadvantages of Tufnol Rod:
- It’s not suitable for washers or gears.
- Only for low voltages applications
- Quite dusty when being machined
- Difficult to produce very intricate or delicate parts
Tufnol Rod perform:
- Because of the way Whale Tufnol rod material is made, it’s a bit like plywood in that it is quite rigid – as much as twice that of nylon. In fact, it is this inherent rigidity that diminishes creep. Supposing you made two flanges, one from nylon and the other from Whale Tufnol rod, and bolted a lid down onto each. After applying about 50 ft. lbs. of torque to the bolts, the lid on the nylon flange would over time, eventually loosen as the nylon creeps. The bolts on the Tufnol side would stay roughly the same.
Tufnol Rod used for:
- Whale rod is a most useful general-purpose material and is the most popular grade for a wide range of mechanical applications and general uses, such as spacers, rollers, jigs and fixtures, wear-resistant components, low voltage insulation, and many others.
Tufnol Rod not be used for:
- Whale Tufnol rod is not suitable for circuit boards parts, covers, and high electrical insulation.
Tufnol Rod machine:
- Whale Tufnol Rod material cannot be melted to re-shape it, so finished components are made by machining using ordinary machine tools such as saws, drills, lathes, milling machines, or high-speed computer-controlled CNC machines. It is easily machined to produce finished components. A disadvantage when machining Whale Tufnol is that it is quite dusty, and prolonged drilling may cause the material to melt and adhere to the bit. In addition, because of its plywood-like construction, more delicate machined components are subject to shearing.
Tufnol Rod is Glued and bonded:
- While Whale Tufnol can be bonded to a variety of materials, the selection of adhesive is dependent on the material it's being bonded to. But Araldite, epoxy, and contact adhesives are all successful
Tufnol Rod suitable for Food applications:
- Tufnol should not be used in any food applications where it may come into contact with food products.
Tufnol Rod has good wear resistance:
- Whale Tufnol rod has good wear resistance and toughness.
Tufnol Rod chemical resistance:
- Whale Tufnol has good resistance to chemicals, oils, solvents, and hydrocarbons although concentrated acids and alkalis will attack laminates.
Unique Characteristics for Tufnol Rod?
- Whale Tufnol is made primarily of cotton sheets and phenolic chemical resin. Pre-soaked and cured cotton sheets are tightly wrapped over each other until the desired diameter is achieved. Afterward, these are then strongly bonded together, in a rod mould and under high pressure in a hot press, being crushed essentially, with up to three tonnes of pressure and then cured. A finished rod of 25mm, for example, will have begun its life at maybe 35mm diameter before undergoing the press!
What are the size range and availability of Tufnol Rod:
- Tufnol Whale rod is available in brown (light tan colour) and in diameters ranging from 6mm up to 100mm.
Choose Tufnol Rod:
- Whale Tufnol is a non-metallic material with very useful properties. It is hard, rigid, strong, and lightweight – about a fifth of the weight of steel and half the weight of aluminium. It is a good electrical insulator and is also resistant to long-term immersion in water. It is exceptionally resistant to weathering, much more so than most other plastics, and it has been used for components in outdoor, aircraft and marine environments for many decades without corroding or degrading. This grade is very resistant to wear in applications involving friction and can be lubricated with water as well as oil or other conventional lubricants. This makes it extremely useful in marine applications.
Not Choose Tufnol rod:
- A downside to the production process is that because it is essentially “wrapped” or “layered” with many laminations, it's unsuitable for making gears or washers. Imagine a Swiss roll, the teeth would have limited strength and a washer would just push through.
Summary of Tufnol rod?
- Whale Tufnol is a cotton fabric laminate made from medium weave cotton and phenolic resin laminated plastic. It is a good, general-purpose medium weave grade for mechanical applications. It has good all-round physical properties with excellent rigidity compared with other plastics, good strength, good toughness and high wear resistance. It is used for electrical insulation at low voltages only and is not suitable for gears or washers.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.