Whale Tufnol Sheet:
- Whale Tufnol Sheet is a grade specifically designed for mechanical engineering purposes. It is constructed of medium weave cotton and phenolic resin laminated plastic material. This particular grade is dimensionally very stable and can be either run dry or lubricated with water, oils, or grease. It has excellent general physical properties with high strength, good toughness, and wear resistance. This grade is suitable for wear-resistant components such as bearings, bushes, spacers, and low voltage applications.
- Very Rigid with high strength and low weight
- Good electrical and thermal insulation properties
- Non-corrosive; can reduce corrosion in metal parts
- Higher thermal expansion than many metals
- Withstands heavy loads with minimal creep
- Excellent weather resistance
- Good resistance to chemicals, oils, solvents, and hydrocarbons
- Used for electrical insulation, but at low voltages only
- The maximum working temperature is only 120 to 130 degrees C
- When machined, it creates a fine yellow dust
Whale Tufnol Sheet perform:
- Whale Tufnol sheet material is produced much like plywood and, as a result, is quite rigid – as much as twice that of nylon. In fact, it is the inherent rigidity of Whale Tufnol that diminishes creep. Picture two flanges, one of nylon and the other of Whale Tufnol, and bolted a lid down onto each. After applying about 50 ft. lbs. of torque to the bolts, the lid on the nylon flange would eventually loosen as the nylon creeps. The bolts on the other lid with the Whale Tufnol flange would stay roughly the same.
Whale Tufnol Sheet Used:
- This sheet is a most useful general-purpose engineering plastic and is the most popular grade for a wide range of mechanical applications and general uses, such as gears, spacers, jigs, and fixtures, wear-resistant components, and low voltage insulation applications.
What should Whale Tufnol Sheet not be used for?
- Whale Tufnol sheet is not suitable for high electrical insulation, circuit boards, and covers.
Whale Tufnol Sheet machine:
- Unlike many plastics, Whale Tufnol Sheet cannot be melted to re-shape it. Finished components are made by machining using ordinary machine tools such as saws, drills, lathes, milling machines, or high-speed computer-controlled CNC machines. Whale sheet is easily machined to produce these finished components. One disadvantage when machining it is that it is quite dusty, and prolonged drilling may cause the material to melt and adhere to the drill bit. In addition, because of its plywood-like construction, more delicate machined components are subject to shearing along with the lamination.
Can Whale Tufnol Sheet be Glued and bonded?
- While the selection of adhesive is dependent on the material being used, Whale Tufnol can be bonded to a variety of materials.
Whale Tufnol Sheet suitable for Food applications:
- Tufnol should not be used in any food applications where it may come into direct contact with food products.
Whale Tufnol Sheet good for wear resistance:
- This grade is the one that is well known for its very good wear resistance and toughness.
Is Whale Tufnol Sheet chemical resistant:
- Whale Tufnol sheet also has good resistance to chemicals, oils, solvents, and hydrocarbons, although concentrated acids and alkalis will attack laminates.
- It is made primarily of cotton sheets and phenolic chemical resin. Pre-soaked and cured cotton sheets are layered over each other until the desired thickness is achieved. Afterward, these are then strongly bonded together under high pressure in a hot press, being crushed essentially, with up to three tones of pressure and then cured. A finished sheet of 25mm, for example, will have begun its life at 40mm in thickness before undergoing the press!
What is the size range and availability of the Whale Tufnol Sheet:
- Tufnol Whale sheet is available in brown/tan color and in thickness from 1mm up to 50mm. although our sales team are easily able to obtain you much thicker material. In addition to the Whale brand Tufnol sheet, we offer both the Kite brand and Tufnol’s 1P13 grade. Both types are available in thicknesses ranging from 1mm up to and including 25mm thickness.
Why should you choose this Whale Tufnol Sheet?
- This grade is an excellent thermal barrier material both to prevent extreme heat and extreme cold from transferring. It is hard, rigid, strong, and lightweight – being about 1/5 of the weight of steel and half the weight of aluminum. It is a good electrical insulator and is also resistant to long-term immersion in water. It is exceptionally resistant to weathering - much more so than most other plastics - and so has been used for components in outdoor and marine environments for many decades without corroding or degrading.
Why not choose Whale Tufnol Sheet?
- A downside to the production process of Whale Tufnol sheet is that tolerances can vary quite a bit due to miscalculations on the number of sheets used, the actual thickness of individual sheets, and even variances in the pressure applied by the press or the in the steel press sheets. Therefore, it may not be suitable for applications requiring very minimal tolerances.
Summary of the Whale Tufnol Sheet:
- Whale Tufnol sheet is a cotton fabric laminate made from medium weave cotton and phenolic resin laminated plastic. It is known as a Synthetic Resin Bonded Fabric or SRBF. Whale Tufnol is a good, general-purpose medium weave grade for mechanical applications. It has excellent all-around strength, good toughness, and wears resistance as well as thermal barrier properties. It is versatile, easy to work with, and displays outstanding rigidity.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.