Advantages of UHMWPE Rod:
- UHMWPE is odourless, tasteless, and nontoxic
- Has extremely low moisture absorption
- Very low coefficient of friction
- Self-lubricating and is highly resistant to abrasion.
- Very resistant to water, moisture, most chemicals
- Resistant to UV radiation, and micro-organisms.
- UHMWPE only becomes brittle at temperatures below −150°C.
Disadvantages of UHMWPE Rod:
- Its melting point is around 130°C to 136°C
- Not advisable to use UHMWPE at temperatures exceeding 80°C to 100°C for extended periods of time.
- UHMWPE will deform continually as long as the stress is present, an effect known as creep.
- Maybe not suitable for high load applications
UHMWPE Rod perform:
- UHMWPE rod has an incredible resistance to abrasion and can outperform almost any engineering plastic in this regard.
- It has a very low friction co-efficient and provides a bearing medium that is very free running and exceptionally long-lasting.
- It is resistant to many dilute acids, solvents, and cleaning agents.
- It has a max operating temperature of plus 90°C and a short-term operating temperature of plus 120°C.
- A very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic, presently made.
UHMWPE Rod Used for:
- Because UHMWPE rod has excellent abrasion resistance it is often used for sand, gravel, or aggregate process applications. These environments are incredibly harsh on any bearing material but UHMWPE is one of the few engineering plastics capable of withstanding such punishing abuse.
- UHMWPE Rod can also be used for low friction pulleys because it's very low co-efficient provides a bearing medium that is very free running and exceptionally long-lasting. It is often found in food production environments where high volumes of containers need to be guided along conveyors or production lines. Because it has very low moisture absorption, it is also found in some high-demand areas of marine applications. It’s sometimes used in some cryogenic components due to its low operating temperature abilities.
- Because of its resistance to wear and impact, UHMWPE continues to find increasing industrial applications, including the automotive and bottling sectors. Since the 1960s, it has also been the most commonly used material for total joint arthroplasty in orthopedic and spine implants.
Machining Characteristics of UHMWPE Rod:
- High-speed steel tooling is recommended with lots of back rakes, side rake and clearances, and a generous nose radius. Use caution when turning UHMWPE as the chips will be continuous and tend to wrap around the tooling so a “pecking action” is advised.
UHMWPE Rod is glued:
- UHMWPE does not absorb water readily, nor wet easily, which makes bonding it to other polymers difficult.
UHMWPE Rod Good For Food Applications:
- Natural grade UHMWPE is FDA approved to be used in food applications.
UHMWPE Rod has good Wear resistance:
- UHMWPE rod is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel.
UHMWPE Rod chemical resistance:
- It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except for oxidizing acids.
UHMWPE Rod has any Unique Characteristics:
- Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal and is comparable to that of PTFE, or Teflon. Skin does not interact with it strongly, making the surface feel slippery, almost waxy.
What is the Size Range And Availability of the UHMWPE Rod:
- We stock UHMWPE rods in diameters of 20mm up to 200mm. It is available in natural opaque color (often described as white) or black.
Choose UHMWPE Rod:
- This engineering plastic has an exceptionally low coefficient of friction which offers superb sliding properties and is one of the best materials for wear and abrasion resistance. It is tough even at low temperatures, offers low weight, and is easy to weld.
Summary of UHMWPE Rod:
- This engineering plastic can be machined into virtually anything, from small (low load)gears and bearings to huge sprockets-shapes that until recently were only possible with metals. It not only outperforms metal in abrasion applications, but it's also easier to machine and therefore cheaper. This versatile plastic can be milled, planed, sawed, drilled, and turned to create a huge variety of parts at a very competitive price. It possesses outstanding abrasion resistance, superior impact resistance, non-sticking and self-lubricating, and excellent mechanical properties, even in cryogenic conditions.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.